As Co-Chair of the Econsult Solutions (ESI) Board of Directors, Stephen Mullin provides expertise to clients in the fields of economic development, public finance, policy analysis, real estate, energy, and business and government strategies. Mr. Mullin served as President since the firm’s inception and is now guiding strategic planning and development of the firm for its posterity.
Mr. Mullin’s consulting practice dates back to 2000, having served a client base ranging from state and local governments and agencies, private businesses, real estate developers, and not-for-profit institutions.
Prior to entering private consulting practice, Mr. Mullin served in top-level city government and private business positions. While in these positions he was directly involved with urban government issues including: tax and expenditure policy; capital infrastructure, pension funds; economic development; urban growth and planning. He served on, and chaired, many public sector and other quasi-governmental boards and commissions.
- Econsult Corporation, Senior Vice President, 2000-2012;
- Philadelphia Director of Commerce, 1993-2000;
- Philadelphia Director of Finance, 1992-1993 (during the City’s fiscal turnaround);
- St. Louis Development Corporation Deputy Director, 1990-1992;
- Laclede Gas Company Director of Corporate Development 1988-1990;
- St. Louis Budget Director, 1982-1988.
Mr. Mullin has long been active as a director on corporate, public sector civic, cultural, and advisory boards, having served on over 75 in his career. Currently he serves on the following:
- Optimum Fund Trust Mutual Fund, Presbyterian Foundation, The Arden Real Estate Funds; and Framewrk, Inc.
- Spring Garden Civic Association, Independence Visitor Center Corporation, The Library Company of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Sports Congress
- Lambda Alpha Philadelphia, Philadelphia Real Estate Council, Preservation Alliance Advocacy Committee, Philadelphia World Trade Center Advisory Council.
He previously served as Director for NASDAQ Futures, Inc. (2008-2018), Haverford Trust Advisory Board, Community College of Philadelphia Foundation (2006-2015), Fairmount Park Conservancy (2006-2010), and Treasurer for the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, (Trustee 1996-2007).
Mr. Mullin has taught graduate level economics, public policy, and public finance at Philadelphia and St. Louis area universities for over 40 years. Among his nearly 10,000 former students are experts and leaders throughout the private and public sectors. He writes for publication, has delivered speeches, provides expert opinion to the media, and is a frequent presenter on panels and symposia. In 2007, he was voted one of Philadelphia’s 101 most connected people.